Friday 21 January 2005

floodgates open

Jeff @ home > Maura @ work, home

I would have been be happy to discuss this with you when you were at home but in case you have forgotten, you appear too busy to answer your phone or check your voice mail or respond to emails when at home to give any kind of timely response. Nonetheless, I have also sent a copy of this email to your home address, so feel free to delete this and peruse when at home at your leisure.

**********************************************

I fully appreciate the nature of this "world" that you have created for yourself; one in which you actually believe that you bear no responsibility for anything that has ever happened in your life. If anything I have been too cognisant of this fact over the years, and have been unwilling if not actually afraid to confront you on important issues. Now I see my situation for exactly what it is, and it's time you got to see it too.

First, you let your parents take care of your son while he was too young, while you led the single life. I actually have no problems with that, even if you did sign a paper allowing them to take him thousands of miles away from you, and having two kids of my own, I just cannot fathom how anyone could do that. Now, you are letting your son take care of your parents when they are too old when all you appear to be doing is working, reading books and playing with your cats. That is the extent of your life based on the information you give us. Then you claim to have no money to be able to come over and visit the only real family you have when you seem incapable of realizing that maybe your son might appreciate if not deserve some help in what he is doing.

If my son had been taking care of my parents for me, and I flew over for my father's funeral, I would at least ask him if he was all right, let alone see if there was anything I could do to help. I would also say how much I appreciated what he was doing, and that I understood how difficult it must be for him to also take care of my mother, and that I would at least be there for emotional support whenever he needed it. I would not spend the whole time criticizing him over a bit of dust in the hallway or heaven forbid try to give him advice as to how and when to scold his own children when I myself had chosen to shirk that particular responsibility when given the chance.

The most laughable part of all this is that YOU ask ME to grow up. I take it this implies that you think you are mature. So when a discussion gets a little heated, storming up to your room and slamming the door several times is mature. I must bear that in mind.

If you are upset and infuriated by my emails, then all I can say is, welcome to my world. That is exactly how I feel when I realize all I have had to put up with the past few years while my mother was too busy trying to save the Nation of Palestine to even notice. Perhaps you can't change the past, but you can definitely shape a future for both yourself and your family, and that is what I am trying to do. All I want to know is, will I be doing it with or without your support.