Monday 14 March 2005

settlers must go

[Still waiting for a reply from even the happy birthday!!! I did some surfing today and unearthed this letter from my mother to an Israeli website a few year's back]

By Maura Lee February 27, 2002

You say that the overwhelming majority of Israelis have supported peace in "poll after poll," but what does that mean? What have we all seen, in terms of peace, from Israel? Please do not mention Oslo, because Oslo attempted to give the word "peace" a new meaning. Thank God it failed.

Regarding the settlers, I beg to differ with you, but they must go. Despite what Israel seems to believe (with, I am ashamed to say, the collusion of my government), the territory, which, Israel occupied in 1967, is not disputed. This territory is under occupation -- think WWII and Europe, if that word means nothing to you -- and the Palestinian people who rightfully live there have the right to resist occupation (again, think WWII and France as a frame of reference.)

It is very true that most Israelis do want peace. I firmly believe this in my heart. Unfortunately, however, Israel is like the United States in that what the people want is not what the government gives. This fact is an abomination for 2 so-called democratic countries.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.