Sunday 17 October 2004

how this all started (the thumbnail version)

My mother has come over to visit me, her own parents who brought me up as well, and my two children every Christmas for the past 6 years. She lives in San Francisco, California and we live 5000+ miles away in Dublin, Ireland. This year, my grandfather passed away at the ripe old age of 91, and she made an extra visit for his funeral in August. We had an unfortunate contre-a-temps a couple of days after the service. Despite this, she claimed to have left with the intention of making the trip over at Christmas as usual, and her mother ever wrote her a cheque for $1000 towards her fare. Once back in the USA, however, she claimed she could not get time off since a "colleague" wanted it instead, and that she would come instead in January, airfares permitting. To call her bluff, we sent her a second check for $1000. As of the 20th of January, she had not given any notification whether or not she was planning to travel.

For more background info, see these particular entries on one of my other blogs.

"years of admiration"

and